Legal Requirements for Hiring an Employee in Washington State
- Step 1: Master Business License. In Washington, the first step in hiring an employee is to properly report your intention to do so on your master business license application.
- Step 2: I-9 Form.
- Step 3: W-4 Form.
- Step 4: Report Hire to DSHS.
- Step 5: Taxes.
What do I need to hire an employee in Washington state?
You must have a registered business in order to hire employees in Washington state. Businesses and domestic (household) employers must establish employer accounts to report employee hours and wages.
How do I employ someone in Washington state?
Steps to Hiring your First Employee in Washington
- Step 1 – Register as an Employer.
- Step 2 – Employee Eligibility Verification.
- Step 3 – Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate.
- Step 4 – New Hire Reporting.
- Step 5 – Payroll Taxes.
- Step 6 – Workers’ Compensation Insurance.
- Step 7 – Labor Law Posters and Required Notices.
How do I legally hire an employee?
Hire and pay employees
- Get an Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Find out whether you need state or local tax IDs.
- Decide if you want an independent contractor or an employee.
- Ensure new employees return a completed W-4 form.
- Schedule pay periods to coordinate tax withholding for IRS.
How do I hire an employee locally?
How do I find local employees?
- Post jobs to your company website.
- Post available jobs to social media and ask employees to share.
- Post to every free job posting site you can find.
- Talk to local universities and ask them to put the word out.
- Get in contact with recruiters or staffing agencies.
What forms do you need when hiring a new employee?
New hire forms checklist
- Form I-9.
- State new hire tax forms.
- New hire reporting.
- Offer letter.
- Employment agreement.
- Employee handbook acknowledgment.
- Direct deposit authorization.
How do I get an ESD number?
Employment Security (ES) Reference Number
- You can find your ES Reference Number online or on the Tax Rate Notice mailed by the WA State Employment Security Department.
- If you’re unsure, contact the agency at (855) 829-9243.
How can I hire employees fast?
Here are six ways your business can hire quality candidates fast.
- Define hiring goals.
- Identify where potential employees are searching and go to them.
- Improve your website and application user experience.
- Leverage tracking systems and recruiting software.
- Incorporate screening questions.
- Automate interview scheduling.
How can I hire employees for free?
Get a hire within 48 hoursFor free.
- Post your job for free in under 2 minutes.
- Get the job reviewed over a call.
- Start conducting interviews instantly.
- Get your hire within 48 hours.
Can an LLC hire employees?
In general, LLC members are not employees of the LLC. If you make this choice, then the LLC can hire members as employees, but they must receive a reasonable, industry-standard salary. When you become an employee of your LLC, you must pay tax on the income and the LLC must withhold taxes for you.
How much does hiring an employee cost?
While it’s difficult to pinpoint an exact number, a Society for Human Resource Management study stated that the average cost to hire an employee is $4,129, or 6 weeks of pay for a $15 per hour job. Hiring team members is perhaps the most important investment you’ll make to ensure you make the most of your business.
Where can I find employees to hire?
Job posting sites
- LinkedIn. LinkedIn is a networking site where professionals post resumes, interact, and exchange ideas.
- Craigslist. Many people imagine Craigslist as a place to find a new apartment or sell your old couch.
- Simply Hired.
What is the best website to hire employees?
Here are nine of the top sites that I have found to be very useful in my search for the right employee.
- Pinterest. This may seem weird but I’ve had the best results with this one.
- Simply Hired.
- 8. Facebook.
How do you recruit employees online?
Below are the top six ways to recruit prospective employees online:
- Professional association websites: Posting your open position to a professional website can be a great way to source candidates.
- College and alumni organizations: Often colleges and universities will allow you to post jobs to their websites for free.