What is the state bird and state flower of Washington?
SpeciesTypeSymbolAdoptedBirdAmerican goldfinch (Spinus tristis)1951Endemic mammalOlympic marmot (Marmota olympus)2009FishSteelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)1969FlowerPacific rhododendron (Rhododendron macrophyllum)1959
Why is the rhododendron the state flower of Washington?
In 1892, before they had the right to vote, Washington women selected the coast rhododendron as the state flower. They wanted an official flower to enter in a floral exhibit at the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. … When the ballots were counted, the rhododendron had been chosen as the Washington state flower.
What is the state animal for Washington?
What flowers are native to Washington state?
- Aquilegia formosa. Ranunculaceae. Sitka Columbine.
- Arbutus menziesii. Ericaceae. Madrone.
- Arctostaphylos uva-ursi. Ericaceae. Kinnikinnick.
What is the state of Washington famous for?
WashingtonCapital: OlympiaEntered the Union: Nov. 11, 1889 (42)State Fruit: AppleState Song “Washington, My Home”National Forests: 6 • State Parks: 215Famous For: Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, the Space Needle, National Parks, apples
What are Washington State colors?
What makes Washington special?
The state of Washington is the only state to be named after a United States president. Seattle is home to the first revolving restaurant, 1961. Washington state produces more apples than any other state in the union. Washington state has more glaciers than the other 47 contiguous states combined.
What is the state flower of all 50 states?
50states.com State Flowers ListAlabamaCamelliaCamelliaAlaskaForget Me NotArizonaSaguaro Cactus BlossomCarnegiea giganteaArkansasApple BlossomPyrus coronariaCaliforniaCalifornia Poppy
What is the national flower of the United States?
What is the most popular food in Washington state?
These 12 Iconic Foods In Washington Will Have Your Mouth Watering
- Theo Chocolate. Eli Duke / Flickr. …
- Rainier Cherries. sea turtle / Flickr. …
- Tim’s Cascade Potato Chips. Flickr / Jeffrey Simpson. …
- Cedar planked salmon. John Bencina / Flickr. …
- Fish & Chips. Mr.TinDC / Flickr. …
- Apples. …
- Aplets & Cotlets. …
- Red raspberries.
What is the most common tree in Washington state?
Common Tall Trees You’ll See In Washington Forests
- Western Hemlock – Did you know that this is the State Tree of Washington? …
- Douglas Fir – This popular evergreen tree can be identified by the yellow-green shade of its inch-long needles.
Are there alligators in Washington state?
If true, it’s an unusual sighting for the state because the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife says alligators are not native to this area. Whatever is swimming in the water has a lot of people talking.
What grows well in Washington state?
Fall and Winter Vegetable Gardens for Western Washington
- BEANS. Plant Bush beans until late July to produce a good crop before frost. …
- BEETS. Beets can be planted until August 1 and produce a dependable crop. …
- BROCCOLI. Direct seed until mid-July and transplant until mid-August. …
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS. …
- CABBAGE. …
- CHINESE CABBAGE. …
- CARROTS. …
What grows well in Washington?
Washington leads the nation in production of twelve agricultural commodities.
- Red raspberries, 90.5 percent of U.S. production.
- Hops, 79.3 percent.
- Spearamint Oil, 75 percent.
- Wrinkled seed peas. 70.4 percent.
- Apples, 71.7 percent.
- Grapes, Concord, 55.1 percent.
- Grapes, Niagra, 35.9 percent.
- Sweet cherries, 62.3 percent.