Current prisons The Department currently operates 12 adult prisons, of which 10 are male institutions and two are female institutions. The Department confines nearly 16,000 offenders in these facilities, with each varying in size and mission across the state.
- The Department of Corrections (DOC) has 12 prison facilities with custody levels ranging from minimum to maximum security: See the Contact Prisons page for phone numbers, maps, and driving directions to Washington’s prison facilities.
How many state prisons are there in Washington State?
The Washington State Department of Corrections (WA Corrections) houses, feeds, clothes, and provides a variety of programs for more than 17,000 incarcerated men and women in the twelve state prisons.
What prisons are in WA state?
The Department of Corrections (DOC) has 12 prison facilities with custody levels ranging from minimum to maximum security:
- Airway Heights Corrections Center (AHCC)
- Cedar Creek Corrections Center (CCCC)
- Clallam Bay Corrections Center (CBCC)
- Coyote Ridge Corrections Center (CRCC)
- Larch Corrections Center (LCC)
How many inmates are in prisons in Washington?
Since 1983, the prison custody population has increased 182%. In 2018, there were 17,467 people in the Washington prison system. 11% of jail pop. 5% of state pop.
What are the worst prisons in America?
- United States Penitentiary – Atwater, California.
- Pelican Bay State Prison – Crescent City, California.
- United States Penitentiary, Alcatraz Island – San Francisco, California (Closed 21 March 1963)
- California Correctional Institution – Tehachapi, California.
- High Desert State Prison – Susanville, California.
Which state has the most overcrowded prisons?
Alabama Has Most Overcrowded Prisons in the Nation. An analysis of data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics by The Appeal revealed that Alabama’s prisons are the most crowded in the country.
What prisons are closing in Washington state?
The DOC announced some units will be closed and consolidated at several prisons across the state to cut down on spending, including Clallam Bay Corrections Center, Coyote Ridge Corrections Center, Mission Creek Corrections Center for Women, Monroe Correctional Complex, Washington State Penitentiary and more.