- Fill out a Petition for Change of Name. It must state all of these: Your current legal name and the name you want.
- File a Petition in the district court of the county where you live. You must show photo ID when you file.
- Schedule a hearing date. The clerk will schedule a date for you to appear before a judge.
How do I change my name after marriage?
- Changing Your Name in the U.S. Get copies of your marriage certificate. Start using your spouse’s name. Fill out court forms to request a legal change. Post notice. Notify others of the name change. Tell the Social Security office.
How long do I have to change my name after marriage in Washington state?
Washington state law does not impose a time limit after the wedding by which a name change must be accomplished. However, if you are making the change more than a year after your wedding, check with each agency to determine if a certified copy of your marriage license will suffice to change your name with them.
How much does it cost to change your name after marriage Washington State?
Filing fee It costs between $100 and $400 for a court-petitioned name change. Fees vary by court. Pay up front and in full. Accepted forms of payment vary by court, but most will accept cash, a money order, or a certified check.
How do I legally change my last name after marriage?
How to Change Your Name in 10 Steps
- Get Your Marriage License and Certified Copies.
- Update Your Social Security Card.
- Get a New Driver’s License.
- Get a New Passport and Travel Documents.
- Change the Name on Your Bank Accounts.
- Change the Name on Your Credit Cards.
- Provide Your New Name and Banking Information to Your Employer.
How much does it cost to change your last name in Washington?
Keep in mind that name change fees can cost in the range of $150 – $200 depending on your district and how many copies of the court order you request. The Petition must state your current name, the new name you want and the reasons for the name change.
Can you change your first name when you get married Washington State?
There is no legal requirement for either party in a marriage to change their name once married. If you do decide to change your name, there is no centralized process or agency that will change or update your name for all agencies. To assume a new last name, you must contact each agency individually.
Can I change my first name when I get married?
Anyone is free to keep their own name, hyphenate their name with a spouse’s name, take their spouse’s name, or come up with a completely different name altogether. Legally changing your name after marriage can include any of the following: Changing your name to your spouse’s last name.
What happens if you don’t change your last name after marriage?
Your marriage license and certificate will show both your current and new name after marriage. So, if you decide not to change, there will be a reference to your pre-marriage name, a.k.a. old name, a.k.a. current name, a.k.a. legal name. Nine times out of ten, it’s your maiden name.
Can I change my name online?
If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a corrected card online.