- Founding Father George Washington supposedly said that a free people need “sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence” from their own government. George Washington said that a free people need “sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence” from their own government.
What is George Washington famous for saying?
“ It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one. ” “It is better to be alone than in bad company.” “If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
What was George Washington first word?
When I was first honoured with a call into the Service of my Country, then on the eve of an arduous struggle for its liberties, the light in which I contemplated my duty required that I should renounce every pecuniary compensation. From this resolution I have in no instance departed.
What are famous sayings?
The Most Famous Quotes
- “Fortune favors the bold.” – Virgil.
- “I think, therefore I am.” – René Descartes.
- “Time is money.” –
- “I came, I saw, I conquered.” –
- “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” –
- “Practice makes perfect.” –
- “Knowledge is power.” –
- “Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.” –
What famous quote did Washington say before the Battle of Trenton?
“ Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.” “Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable, procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.”
What did George Washington say in his inauguration speech?
He explained that the virtuous Americans would make the new nation a model for the world: “ [T]he foundation of our national policy will be laid in the pure and immutable principles of private morality, and the preeminence of free government be exemplified by all the attributes which can win the affections of its
Did George Washington speak softly?
Washington’s contemporaries often described him as soft-spoken. Yoch says this undoubtedly came from his unexpectedly high voice and from his notoriously bad teeth, which gave him the habit of keeping his mouth closed to hide their unsightly appearance and the bad breath that comes with tooth decay.
What is the greatest quote ever?
100 Best Quotes of All Time
- “Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”
- “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
- “We must not allow other people’s limited perceptions to define us.”
What is the most famous quote in history?
Quotes by Famous People
- The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. –
- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. –
- Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.
- If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor. –
What is the most powerful quote?
21 of the World’s Most Powerful Quotes Updated For Today
- “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” — Gandhi.
- “Everybody is a genius.
- “A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” — George Bernhard Shaw.
What did George Washington say about war?
Washington, the greatest military leader the young Republic had produced, believed that the most effective way to avoid war was through constant preparedness. If potential enemies could see that U.S. forces were ready to fight and win, they would not commit aggression in the first place.
What is Thomas Jefferson’s most famous quote?
” We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal….” “it is the great parent of science & of virtue: and that a nation will be great in both, always in proportion as it is free.” “our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost.”
What are some famous quotes from the Revolutionary war?
Quotations – Revolutionary War
- “Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.”
- “What a glorious morning for America!”
- “Don’t fire until you see the whites of their eyes!”
- “Issue the orders, sir, and I will storm hell!”
- “In the name of the great Jehova and the Continental Congress!”