How to Sell a Car in Washington
- Step 1: Allow the Buyer to Have the Car Inspected by a Third Party.
- Step 2: Clean Out the Vehicle.
- Step 3: Remove the License Plates.
- Step 4: Complete a Bill of Sale.
- Step 5: Collect Payment from the Seller.
- Step 6: Sign the Title to Formally Transfer Ownership.
- Step 7: File a Report of Sale.
What is the legal age to own a car in Washington State?
- To rent a car in Washington State, you must be at least 18 years old. Most companies, however, have a policy of only renting to 21 year olds, and even then tack on a daily “underage driver fee” of about $25 per day for driver’s under age 25.
What documents do you need to sell a car in Washington state?
If you are selling your car in Washington, you will need a clean title and a bill of sale. A clean title means it must be legible and intact, with no rips or tears, and you must not have a lien on the vehicle. If you still owe money on your car loan, that doesn’t mean you are out of luck.
What does the seller need when selling a car?
Have your VIN (vehicle identification number), vehicle history and inspection reports, and maintenance records on hand, just in case they’re requested. Most serious buyers are going to want to test drive it too, so make sure the vehicle has enough fuel in the tank.
How do I notify DMV that I sold my car?
When a vehicle is sold (or otherwise transferred) you, the seller, are required to:
- complete a sold notice on AZ MVD Now.
- sign off the back of the title and have your signature notarized.
- remove the license plate from the vehicle and contact MVD to transfer it to another vehicle you own, or destroy it.
Do you keep plates when selling car?
Yes, you keep the plates. To transfer the title to the buyer, you’d need to complete and sign the title and also the odometer mileage of your car in the name of your buyer.
How do you transfer car ownership?
Buyer’s paperwork required
- Form. The first piece of paper you need when buying a car is to collect the TO form (Transfer of Ownership) which you can do both in the office or online.
- Fees. Fees come after the form.
- Submission of papers.
- Attested documents.
- Send a letter.
- Block letter.
- Present on the spot.
- Literacy Discrepancy.
Do I keep my plates when selling a car in Washington?
Do I remove my license plate when I sell a car in Washington? Yes. License plates stay with the owner. If you are not transferring the plate to a replacement vehicle, turn the plates back to any Washington DMV location.
Do you have to return license plates in Washington state?
In the state of Washington State there is typically no need to surrender your plates. If you want to return them to the Washington State DMV, you can do that one of the following ways: Physically bring them to your local licensing office.